Homograph - Definition, Example and Meaning of English

Homograph - Definition, Example and Meaning

- In learning English, surely you've found and heard some similar vocabulary, have the same word pronunciation but different meaning, ever? If friends have heard words in English that have the same pronunciation, then it, then the words will make confused friends and can cause misunderstandings and misunderstandings if we are not equipped with science Pronunciation.

Then, what are the English words that have the same pronunciation but have different meanings and meanings? (Similar Spellings but Different Meaning) let's discuss it now!


1. Live with Live


English Homograph Example


The word 'Live' is pronounced differently when used as a verb and adjective. Let's follow the following explanation to understand the different uses of this word.

The word 'Live' is a verb that can refer to where you live permanently or permanently.

Example of sentences :

"I live in a house." (I live in a house)

"Where do you live?" (Where do you live)

The word 'Live' can also mean living life in certain ways 

"I have been living on my own since I was 18." (I live alone since I was 18 years old)

"They want to live comfortably." (They want me to live comfortably)

While the word 'Lives' is a form of the verb 'Live'. 

"She lives next door." (He lives next door to my house)

The adjective 'live' may refer to cables that have an electric current, in this case, the word is pronounced or pronounced differently from a 'live' verb. 

"Be careful with live electrical cords." (be careful with electrically active cables)

the word 'Live' may also refer to the appearance or the TV show we witnessed while the event is in progress. 

"The live show is really interesting to watch."("The live broadcast is very interesting to watch)


2. Bow with Bow



English Homograph


The word "Bow" is pronounced when showing an English attitude or verb while performing on stage. 

Example of sentences : 

"The childerns take a bow after they are dance recital" (The students salute the deeds after performing the dance performance)

while the use of the second word Bow is to show the noun used by a person in appearance. 

Example of sentences : 

"The man wear the bow ties in a formal event" (The man wore a bow tie in an important event)

"The little girl wearing the bow on the pretty dresses" (The little girl was wearing funny skirt) 

3.  Content with Content


Homograph Meaning

In the next example is the word "Content" used when to show or declare an important matter of the contents of a package or book or information in it. 

Example of sentences : 
"What is the content of this book?"(What is the content of this book?)

Then the comparison in the next word "Contain" is used when we want to express a feeling of happiness or satisfaction in work or decisions 

Example: 
"I am content with my job" (I am satisfied with my job)

"I am content with my decision" (I am satisfied with my decision)

4. Contract with Contract 

Contract is essentially an agreement between two persons or between groups, so in this sense the word "Contract" is used to denote an employment agreement. 


Example of sentences : 
"I have signed my contract with my company" (I have made a contract to join my company)

Then, the next use of the word "Contract" is used to indicate the level of elasticity or reaction of the movement of an object, from the initial motion to the movement lengthwise or shortened, and then to the original position. 

Example: 
I pulled the rubber band, I stretched it and I let it contract back to its original size)


5. Dessert with Desert 

Vocabulary "Dessert" is a word that shows the use for dessert or a sweet meal meal. 

Example of sentences : 
"This brownie cake is one my favorite dessert" (This brownis cake is my favorite dessert)

Desert which means a word that has the meaning of desert or dry areas that are usually rare plants. And generally covered with sand or rocks. This word is pronounced by stressing the second syllable. As for the verb, desert means leaving someone in an urgent or difficult situation with stress on first syllable. 

Example: 
"His Boyfriend deserted him without anyreason" (Her boyfriend left her for no reason)

6. Minute with Minute 

Vocabulary "Minute" which means having meaning of timeframe which shows vulnerable time in 60 seconds. 

Example of sentences : 
"I catch up with you in a minute" (I'm whistling you in a minute)

Then the word "Minute" can then be read "Minut" is a vocabulary that has a meaning in science that is particles or small parts. 

Example: 
"Atoms broke into minut or really tiny small particles" (Atoms go into tiny particles or tiny tiny particles)

"The glass fell on the floor and it was broken into minut pieces very tiny small pieces" (Glass fell on the floor and cut very small pieces)


7. Tear with Tear 

In the first "Tear" the English vocabulary that shows the tear in something. 

Example of sentences : 
"I am angry and then i tear my book into pieces" (I got angry and then tore my book into pieces)

Then the second meaning of "Tear" indicates a feeling of sadness. 

Example: 
"The little child was crying it tears were rolling down her face" (The little boy was crying because tears streamed down his face)

8. Wind with Wind 

In the first word "Wind" is where it shows there is air movement. 

Example of sentences : 

"Wind blowing today in the evening" (The wind blows today at night)


The next "Wind" is to show the condition or state of the road winding and down 

Example: 
"The hill station is a winding" (The hill is winding and descending

Here is a vocabulary or English vocabulary that has the same word but different meaning, or commonly called Hoomograph English. 

Source: https://www.edumor.com , http://www.sekolahbahasainggris.com , youtube